Wednesday 31 March 2021

What a fast month!

Wow! March seems to have flown by this year, and how is it already over 3 weeks since I posted my One Monthly Goal?  That goal seemed so achievable back then, but life got very busy very quickly - my elder son moved into his first flat (apartment) on his own and he and I went out hunting down affordable pre-owned furniture, I spent a week away working and then was super busy in the lab when I got back. In the meantime the weather has gone from cold to warm and back again, and tonight we expect snow in time for April Fool's Day. There was a brief flash of spring and I found these crocuses in full bloom, not where I had originally planted them but relocated courtesy of the squirrels and/or chipmunks! Flower bulbs rarely remain where I intend in my garden.

Crocuses the day before a heavy rainstorm...

Oh yes, and before I went away I had almost run out of the thread I was using to quilt my OMG quilts.  While away I visited 2 quilt shops neither of whom stocked the thread I wanted but I did buy other thread (in a similar colour way but a different manufacturer) and fabric including what would become the binding and that was on sale :)  When I got home I could not make the new thread work with my machine at all, ordered a free standing spool holder which got lost and a replacement had to be sent out.  However I did find the thread I wanted on-line and that arrived super quickly so I was able to have another go at the quilting and then found that I had not lowered my feed dogs when I had been having all that trouble with the different thread.  My preferred thread behaved just perfectly and tonight, with just a couple of hours of March left, I got the binding on both barn quilts - OMG for March 2021 achieved!!

Two quilts for "Toys for Tots"

There will be more detailed pictures once the quilts have been washed and dried to remove the temporary markings.

Baking also happened this month. Pi day was marked by an out of season batch of mince pies, normally I only make these between 1st December and Twelfth Night, so these were much appreciated as a special treat.

Pi day pies
 

For Christmas my elder son gave me a copy of New World Sourdough by Bryan Ford, so last weekend I made his Bananas Foster loaf and very good it was too!  I shall share photos of more of my attempts at recipes from this book over the coming months.

Sliced bananas on top

Banana-y, buttery, sugary swirl with rum on the inside



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your project!

    ReplyDelete