Thursday 14 July 2022

Cutting up fabric scraps seems to make more scraps

This month's colour on the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is PURPLE and although I haven't done much this year in the other monthly colours this week I decided to pull out my purples and make a few 4½" crumb blocks. Once I'd made a few I counted up how many I had in each colour, realised I was short of orange blocks, made some more orange blocks and started in on a quilt top. Here are the first couple of rows...

...and the stacks of each colour with the sashing pieces to go with them and also my 1½" squares that are my current leader & ender project.

Of course once I had my rows all assembled I looked at my depleted tub of  1½" squares for the cornerstones and obviously did not have enough so started pulling out smaller pieces of fabric in the right colours - I only needed 9 little tiny squares in each colour, surely they wouldn't take long to cut? Wrong! Each small piece of fabric had to be selected, ironed, considered carefully to work out how efficiently it could be cut into a range of different sized squares and then finally cut into those pieces.  By the time my husband came home from work I still had two colours to go.  Those will get done tomorrow morning and then the quilt top won't take much time to finish...



No comments:

Post a Comment